Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said today the media, which sensationalised allegations by the teen model who is wife of Kelantan prince Tengku Temenggong Tengku Muhammad Fakhry Petra, must restrain themselves because the claims was made against a Malaysian prince.
The prince, if there were reports lodged against him, Hishammuddin said, should be accorded the same justice system as anyone else and not be treated negatively.
The Malaysian government would probe Manohara’s allegations of abuse if there was a report lodged with the Malaysian authorities.
Promising no cover-ups, Hishammuddin said to date, there had been no reports lodged from any parties concerning the allegations although the Singapore authorities had given Malaysia feedback on the case.
However, Hishammuddin said he was not at liberty to reveal the information.
“It is incumbent upon us to investigate any lodged reports and we will not run from that responsibility,” he said. “Like I have made clear many times, nobody is above the law and we will continue to be consistent on that.”
Hishamuddin confirmed that to date, only the Singapore authorities were handling Manohara’s case as no reports were filed with the local police.
Stories of the 17-year-old who goes by the title Cik Puan Temenggong, made headlines in Indonesia from Monday
She had allegedly fled from a hotel in Singapore the day before and told media conferences that palace officials tried to stop her from fleeing but that she was rescued by Singaporean authorities who saw her struggling with them on a CCTV.
She was reported to have escaped with the help of the United States embassy in Singapore and was reunited with her mother who was awaiting on the ground floor of the hotel.
The couple was in the republic to visit the Sultan of Kelantan, who was undergoing treatment for a heart ailment at the Mount Elizabeth hospital.
Indonesian media had also reported that Indonesian Foreign ministry would take up the Manohara case to Malaysia if she filed an official complaint.