Friday, July 10th, 2009
THE pressure is now piling on Manohara Odelia Pinot,17, to prove her allegations of sexual and physical abuse by her husband Tengku Temenggong Kelantan Tengku Muhammad Fakhry, 32.
The Indonesian Foreign Affairs Ministry said yesterday that it was willing to assist Manohara to file a report with Malaysian police.
The ministry is also prepared to file the report on Manohara’s behalf provided she produces all the evidence.
Indonesian media reported the offer by the ministry yesterday, quoting a spokesman.
Indonesian police have also advised Manohara to make a police report in Malaysia with the help of the Foreign Ministry.
One of Manohara’s lawyers, Farhat Abbas, welcomed the offer by the Foreign Ministry, saying: “Even if the offer has come late, we view it positively.”
Manohara has alleged her husband had raped and tortured and imprisoned her during their nine months of marriage.
Her mother, Daisy Fajarina, had also blamed the Malaysian and Indonesian governments of trying to cover up the alleged abuse.
Tengku Fakhry has lodged a police report in Kuala Lumpur denying the allegations.
A medical examination in Jakarta allegedly concluded she had been repeatedly slashed with sharp objects on her chest and had been burnt with a cigar on her forehead.
However, this report has not been made public, raising doubts about its authenticity.
On June 8, at a media conference, Manohara showed several injuries on her body, including “sensitive areas”, alleging that she was cut by a razor blade by Tengku Fakhry.
She had claimed that she had secretly taken pictures of the injuries on her body with her handphone.
One online report yesterday stated that Dr Abdul Mun’im Idries of RS Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital in Jakarta said Manohara suffered “level two physical abuse”.
The doctor had apparently described level two as “serious physical abuse”.
“Based on my medical check-up, there is enough evidence for her to sue her husband,” Dr Idries was quoted as saying.
8 lawyers, yet Manohara is still all talk
MANOHARA reportedly has a battery of eight hotshot lawyers led by Hotman Paris Hutapea.
An online report from Jakarta named the others as Elza Syarief, Farhat Abbas, Warsito Sanyoto, Lury Alex, Akhmad Alwi, Vera Tobing, and Petrus Salastino. Manohara had also appointed a Malaysian lawyer, Mohamed Zaini Mazlan.
Ironically, with such a big legal team, Manohara and her mother Daisy Fajarina have not moved an inch to prove their case while the prince seems to be making all the moves.
They had threatened to sue eight Malaysians, including the Sultan of Kelantan, the Raja Perempuan, Tengku Fakhry and an Indonesian.
Both mother and daughter have so far been on a binge, crucifying the prince at “superstar media conferences”.
The prince has denied all the allegations and has lodged a police report against his wife over her claims.
He has also started a series of legal actions against mother and daughter.
His lawyers are Mohd Haaziq Pillay and Zainul Rijal who will oversee the common law and Islamic law matters respectively.
Tengku Fakhry, said Haaziq, wants to bring a quick end to the affair that has tarnished his name and that of the Kelantan palace.
Haaziq said: “The allegations have so far not been substantiated by any concrete evidence and remain baseless and without merit.
“It remains a myth, with the accusers roaming freely, hiding behind the shadow of Press freedom.”
He said Tengku Fakhry would file a writ of summons for defamation soon.